Monday, April 25, 2016

Layout Update Mondays: Mallary Pavilion

Working on Mallary Pond.
One area I have been stuck on for awhile with the layout is the area that was slated for the front of the Mallary Complex building.  I've been trying different arrangements to build a model of the front of the building and the dome and just nothing was working for the space.  In real life, the Mallary Complex was built after the track was pulled out.  In fact the track would have been under the pavilion and the dome.  Since the layout was meant to be a combination of what once was with the railroad and the present day railroad, I decided to eliminate the building.

Instead, the new plan is to model one of the ponds which is located near the parking lot and an open air pavilion area with a caboose on display - to be dubbed Mallary Pavilion and Pond.  From the old maps and photos I've been able to find of the Eastern States Exposition before the Mallary Complex was built, there was a pavilion or small building located in this area.  It seems like it was all removed when the race track was removed - but that is simply speculation on my part.  If anyone has info on this, feel free to drop me a line.

I like the feel of this revision - even though the recognizable dome won't be part of the plan any more.  At the show back in January, many people recognized the Young Building so I'm not too worried that folks won't be able to recognize what is being modeled even if the dome isn't present.