Monday, November 16, 2015

Layout Update Mondays: Trackwork Complete

An overview of the completed trackwork.
Well, progress has been a little slower than anticipated but a major milestone was reached over the weekend - all of the track has finally been installed.  It took a lot of time to add about 480 rail anchors to all of the sections of track but it sure looks nice.  As I installed the tracks, I added the electrical feeders but have yet to hook everything together.  The first train will have to wait a bit.

The siding on the Slide module.
While I was taking a few breaks working on the track, I was able to mock up the building, roadway, and landscape locations to make sure it all works as designed.  One part of the layout had been bothering me - the proposed paint shop building on the Memorial Avenue module.  The dirt access road from the MOW module was curving right into the back of the building and just didn't look right. I thought about eliminating the building all together and just installing a driveway but the resulting scene was too wide open.  So, I decided to freelance a bit and add a much smaller metal building.  I figure this could be the railroad headquarters building. Based on the mock up, it feels about right.

Now, back to the shop to finish the wiring!

Revised railroad headquarters building.