Monday, December 21, 2015

Layout Update Mondays: First Texture

Initial scenery on the MOW module.
A long time ago, I wore out a set of Dave Frary's how-to scenery videos - actual VHS videos - as he demonstrated his well known texture over texture scenery technique. (Visit Dave's website here.) Even though some of the materials have changed from those early videos, the techniques he presented are still applicable today.  This past week I've been able to finish the "first texture" layer of scenery on three of the five modules. With this base coat of ground cover added, the scenes are starting to come alive and would look presentable for a train show.  Most likely, I will only truly finish the scenery on one or two of the modules for the 2016 edition of the Railroad Hobby Show and the other three modules will simply reach this "first texture" level of scenery. 

With only five weeks (!) left until show time, I am starting to prioritize what portions of the layout I would like done for this year and what will have to wait until next year. While I hadn't planned on having everything complete for this year, in general, I like to bring a layout where there is at least a basic level of scenery completed.  With a few more days of work, I should be pretty close to having this base coat of scenery applied to all 44 square feet of layout.