Monday, August 31, 2015

Layout Update Mondays: Rail Anchors

Adding rail anchors to the Atlas O scale track.

For the last week, I've been waiting for cork roadbed to arrive so that I can start working on the layout.  In the mean time, I've started doing some prep work on the track which arrived last week.

For the layout, I decided to use Atlas O code 148 two rail O scale track. I've used this in the past and I've really come to like this product. It has a lot of detail built in with tie plates and molded on spikes.  I've found that with a little work and paint, the track starts to look really good.

One of the details I like to add to improve the look of the Atlas O track are rail anchors. These are seldom modeled but a study of prototype track will find these everywhere. Back in college, I worked as a trackman and one of my first jobs was to remove and then re-attach rail anchors when working on a tie replacement project. After that back breaking experience, I can no longer look at track and not see them!

Rail Anchors on the prototype.

To add this detail, I sketched up a model in CAD and then had about 500 rail anchors 3D printed at Shapeways using Frosted Ultra Detail Plastic. I've been adding a set of four every fifth tie.  It will be a while before they are all installed, painted, and weathered - but I did build a diorama about a year ago which shows the finished look I am hoping to achieve with the layout.

Now back to work...99 rail anchors on the rail, 99 rail anchors on the rail...pick one up and knock it on, 100 rail anchors on the rail...

Diorama showing completed track work.