Monday, January 4, 2016

Layout Update Mondays: Crunch Time

An overview of the layout looking at the loading dock of the Young Building.

It seems like every year as I watch the ball drop in Times Square, I think about how much work still needs to be done to finish whatever module or layout I am working on for Springfield.  This year is no different and with only 625 hours (!) until the show doors open - I still have a lot to do.  While this year is a bit different in that I wasn't planning on completing the layout for this show (the plan is for everything to be complete by 2017) - I still want the layout to look good during the event and not truly look "under construction."

Over the weekend, I was able to get the layout closer to the point where it will look presentable for the show.  About 98% of the landforms have at least been painted and many of the road surfaces have been painted as well.  Most of the track is ballasted with the small exception in front of the Young Building and a short stretch near Memorial Avenue.

A few areas, like the MOW area are almost nearing completion.  I've been adding more and more details to help fill in the scene and the only pieces remaining are a few trees and bushes.

Details around the MOW area are coming along.

My plan for the next few weeks is to complete the exterior of the Young Building, finish the railroad headquarters building, add the remaining ground cover around those two buildings, along with adding a few more details.  I also plan to paint my locomotive sometime in these last couple of weeks!

The Railroad Headquarters Building is in progress.

While these few pieces will make the layout on the surface look somewhat complete, there will be a few things to look forward to in 2017.  The big projects will be the addition of the Mallery Complex and the completed interior of the Young Building.  On a smaller scale, I plan to have a number of animated details which are already in motion but won't be ready for the show.

Anyway, back to the shop...every second counts...