Monday, October 12, 2015

Layout Update Mondays: Layout Wiring

Wiring diagram for the layout.
Over the last week, I've been working on starting the process of wiring the layout.  Given how simple the layout is, there isn't really anything complicated to worry about.  However, I felt I'd break down what the plans are to keep the trains moving as well as some animated features which I hope to build over the next year or two.

The track power will be provided by good ol' DC power. Since the layout will only have one locomotive, I didn't feel the need to invest in a full DCC system.  One of my friends agreed to help build me a throttle using Arduinos to control everything - the price of which will be substantially cheaper than any DCC system on the market.  The heart of the system will be placed under the MOW module. From here, several cabs - located at three points around the layout - will be connected via a command bus which will take inputs from the throttles. The plan is to have the throttles built into the fascia instead of walk around throttles.  Again, with only one locomotive on the layout at a time, any throttle can be used to start or stop the train.  So the train could be turned on at one throttle, then the operator can walk with the train along the layout before stopping the train with one of the other throttles at the other end of the layout.

To carry both track power and the command bus, two sets of harnesses will be run between the five modules.  For the track power, I plan to use the exact same Amphenol connectors we use on our HO modular layout. These are very reliable. I've also built a command bus harness which will go along the front three modules where the throttles are located.

Beyond the basic train control needs, I plan to light and animate this layout extensively.  For this, I will have a dedicated 12VDC transformer and run this power in the same harness with the track power.  On each section of the layout, I can connect the various lighting elements and animation controls to this bus.  We've been using a similar system on our HO layout for a couple of years now with great success.

As for the types of features I plan to add, I'll keep a few a surprise until closer to show time, but basically all of the buildings will have lights on the outside and inside.  There will be at least one set of working grade crossing flashers - if not two depending upon what the budget will handle.  In addition, there will be turnout motors and dwarf turnout position signals.

That's all for now, back to installing wiring under the layout...