Monday, September 28, 2015

Layout Update Mondays: Trim

Poplar Trim added to the benchwork.
One of the items I like to add to my portable layouts is a small piece of trim to visually separate the skirting and the layout.  The trim acts as a clean line under which the skirting can be attached with velcro.  To make the trim, I simply use 3/4" x 1.5" poplar and round over the two front facing corners.  It's then mitered, glued, and nailed around each benchwork section.  Once painted, it will provide a nice clean, finished look to the layout when it is setup at shows.

Before adding the trim, I also took a little time to make cuts for the DCC UTPs as well as a handful DPDT switches which will control turnouts as well as other accessories.  The UTP holes were cut out using a router and a jig I built a few years ago when converting my club's layout to DCC.  These can be seen on the bottom left hand corner of the above photo.

The next step will be to continue working on installing track and wiring to hopefully have trains running in the near future.